Tuesday, August 14, 2012

THE SMUG BUG BITES US

We have been working hard for the last few weeks to get everything ready for our trip to Burgundy, France, Northern Italy, Austria and Germany.  We got Treetop all ready, set up sheets and towel sets for our various renters who will be coming while we are gone, and built a ramp from the road to the trail so we can roll the hand truck up to the house from the street.  The house looks great!

As usual, our website went down just a few days before our departure.  It appears that our provider has finally gone belly-up and our URL is now stuck in legal limbo.  No website to post stories, show off our houses, etc.  Don tried to find out how to get custody of our URL, to no avail.  So we are using Blogspot this year.  

We also got the Sunnyvale house all ready for our home exchange family, the Commelins from St. Point, France.  The house was clean, the yard looked nice, the maps and info books were ready.  We sat down in our living room on Tuesday afternoon, 8 hours before our guests were due, and looked at each other and grinned.  We are good! Even that egregious automatic watering system, a constant thorn in my side, was working properly.  Every detail was handled with time to spare.

Around 9pm we got in the Dodge to go to SFO to pick up the Commelins.  I had my nice yellow sign ready so they could find me, the car was clean and gassed, we had plenty of time to get to the airport, we had double-checked and confirmed their arrival time.  We were on top of everything.  As we eased around the curve on the flyover from 85 to 101 we heard a loud BANG!  What was that???  But the car seemed to be ok and we didn't feel any bump or wobble in the car, so we continued on.

By the time we got to Redwood City I started to hear a noise.  Did you hear that, Don?  What is that?  Mr. Grumpy snarled, "I hear it.  I don't know what it is."  The next thing we knew the tire started wobbling and making a hellacious noise.  Of course there was not safe place to pull over, so we got in the slow lane and put on the hazard lights and limped off the freeway on Whipple Ave.  By now the tire was toast--shredded and burning.

We got the car into a parking lot and determined that the whole wheel would have to be changed out.  Don set about getting the spare off the mounting under the car and I was worried that our guests would be concerned when we were not there to meet them.  So I quickly got my handy cell phone working and called our go-to guy for emergency rescue.  "Gary, help!  Can you rescue us?'  I gave him the deets and told him he would have to clear stuff out of his car to accommodate a family of four, Don and I too.  He agreed to be our hero.

In the meanwhile, Don is down on his hands and knees in the dirt and gravel, cussing and skinning his knuckles trying to figure out how to detach the spare tire.  I frantically enlisted Maggie, our favorite GPS, trying to find an emergency service.  Our road service contract lets us use any service and just reimburses us.  So, I called station after station trying to find one that actually provides service, to no avail.  Don finally got the spare tire off the mounting and now was skinning his knuckles and straining his back trying to loosen the lug nuts on the wheel.   I kept trying to get him to stop hurting himself and promised to get some help, but he was just mad and snurly (made up word to combine snarly with the effect of the trademarked Myrah nasty and disdainful lip curl).

Just then I spotted a tow truck driving right down the frontage road past us and I jumped up and down and waved at him. Paul Beckett a very nice guy from Beckett's Auto Transport Service and his wife stopped and he jumped out of his truck, unloaded numerous fancy professional car tools, and had the wheel changed in 5 minutes.  He made us feel real old when we thanked him and offered to pay, and he responded that he hoped that if his grandparents were in this situation someone would stop to help them too, so no charge.  Many thanks to this nice guy, Paul Beckett.  And, if you ever need a vehicle transported, call him in Santa Clara. 408-318-4556.

Meanwhile I called Gary and told him he was off the hook, talked to the Commelins and let them know we were on the way.  We found them at the airport, very tired after 24 hours of travel, and took them to Sunnyvale and just quickly showed them the house before heading over to DJ's for the night.

This is just another proof of my "superstition" that every time you are patting yourself on the back and smugly thinking how great you are, something will jump up and remind you that you are not the hot shot you think you are.  This has happened to me more that once, so I really don't consider it a superstition anymore.

August 15, 2012

After a good night's sleep at DJ's house, Don and I returned to Ticonderoga and Don took the ruined tire to get it replaced.  I showed Eric and Cristelle around the house and went through all of the information with them, gave them instructions for Treetop and also the Lodge, in case the want to go there for a few days.  They only have two weeks and there is so much to do I don't now how they can fit everything in.  Anyway, we wish them a wonderful stay in Northern California.

After several false departures we finally said our final goodbyes and Gary drove us to the airport where we caught our plane, a nice British Air Jumbo.  I really have to compliment British Air for excellent service, comfortable seats and decent meals.  The flight to Heathrow went well.  I watched several movies to pass the time.  They had those nice individual screens so I could pick and choose from a generous menu.  I saw a cute movie with Judith Dench about a bunch of old folks who went to India on a special travel promotion, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.  It was cute for us old folks.


We got to Heathrow and made our connection to Geneva with no problems.  Since we flew overnight we arrived the next day--August 16.  Now it was time to find the car and venture out into the countryside to find our exchange house.  But wait!  First we have to collect our checked luggage--our Bike Fridays.  Mine came off right away and then we waited and waited until there was no more.  No bike for Don.  Off to the baggage handling department to report the lost bike.  The young man who helped us was very competent and located our bag, still at Heathrow, and promised to have it delivered tomorrow.  Good luck on that, the house, far in the country and up a dirt road, may not be easy to locate.

We easily found the Commelin's car and set up our GPS and headed out to the A21 toward Macon.  First we had to bail the car out of the parking garage--another nasty Swiss surprise--71 Swiss francs.  Holy moly!  Finally found a credit card that would work in Switzerland--they don't like Visa--and we were on our way.

The car, a Citroen minivan or SUV, I can't really distinguish, is very nice.  It has a built-in GPS with a nice big picture.  It is very easy to use, so we followed that one (Trixie, our GPS, was giving us conflicting directions.  Our fault because we still had her programmed for bicycle routes.)  After two hours we finally made it to Macon around 9pm.  Don spotted a McDonald's billboard, and after our little orange-cranberry bread and coffee breakfast on the plane several stressful hours earlier, we were really hungry.  Hungry is not a good place for Don to be, so we decided to break our cardinal rule, and stop for a burger.  First we went to the bank for some cash and then McDonalds.

Appetites at bay, we headed out for the last leg of our trip, down dark and narrow country lanes.  Luckily, Don had researched the house and how to get there, and he knew what it should look like, so he found it with only minor wrong turns.  Of course there is the French gate and we could not find a remote to open it.  I got out of the car to investigate and found a key in the lock, so I was able to open the gate and we drove into our new estate for the next two weeks.


The house is very spacious--a nicely remodeled barn.  We looked around, found the bathrooms--the first point of business after that long trip--and then explored the many levels, from kitchen to office.  I love the big windows with lots of light and the rooms are huge.  Don set up the computer to handle a few issues and I took a shower and crashed until 2:30am.  So now I am writing our story and waiting for morning to come.  Feel pretty good.

August 17, 2012

After writing the earlier middle-of-the-night piece I went back to bed, cuddled up to Don, who grumbled "you are freezing!" and put his arms and legs around me to get me warm.  This put me right to sleep and I had a good sleep until 9 the next morning.

Now that it is daylight I must say WOW!!!  The view from here, up on the hill, is breathtaking.  We really couldn't appreciate it before, when it was dark, but in the daylight the green hills, blue skies, lake, little country roads, patches of farms across the valley, all combine to make breathtaking views.  I hope Don will post some photos to go with this so you can appreciate what I am saying.

So, after I got up and spent several minutes appreciating the view, we went grocery shopping.  We went to the Atac in Cluny.  As soon as we got there Don started to remember that he hadn't had his breakfast, and to head off the grumpies I got him a sandwich and sent him outside to eat it.  Before he left he adamantly handed down his edict--only buy food for 4 days. He came in to check out my basket and "help" after he finished his sandwich.  It is hard for me to be quick when shopping because I have to search the store for the item I want, scan the shelves, read the French, find the brand I want, convert from pounds to kilograms and euros to dollars to figure out what I am paying.  Selecting a can of tuna can take 10 minutes.  So, to keep him more patient with me, I send him off to find the ice cream and the beer and the cookies.  That way I can have some peace to think about what I want to buy.

In the meanwhile, Don was also fretting about his bike, which we were expecting to be delivered today.  He wanted me to call first thing in the morning, but I wouldn't.  I hate to make phone calls, ever.  But making one in a foreign country is really stressful.  I told him we should wait until afternoon.

We went home and put away the groceries, ate some lunch, took a nap.  Still no bike, so I relented and called the British Air Baggage Contact Center.  The nice girl who looked up our claim number was "desole" because now Don's bike has taken a side trip to Cairo.  Don envisions it having a great time visiting the Pyramids and riding camels.  In the meanwhile papa is here wringing his hands and fretting over his wayward bike.

So, the madamoiselle of British Airways said they would get the roaming bike back to Geneva tomorrow and be sure it got delivered to us.  I gave her some more clues on how to find the house--go through the town, past the lake, turn right at the sign that says Le Mont.  Follow the road up the hill, when you come to a T in the road turn right and follow the EC6 sign.  The house is the last one on the road, with a red gate.  Hopefully it will be here tomorrow.

In the afternoon we decided to do a hike down to the lake.  Don had scoped out some hiking trails.  So we headed out, up the hill on an old dirt farm road, and then turned off on an overgrown trail.  Eventually the trail turned down hill and we followed as it became more overgrown and less discernible with every step.  Soon we could not find the trail anymore and so we set off cross-country through berry vines and ivy.  Now that my left knee is not too dependable, I grabbed a fallen branch from the forest floor and used that as a walking stick.  Don kept assuring me that he saw the glint of sun on water ahead as we tramped and tripped our way through the vegetation.

We finally came out onto a trail again, thank goodness.  Along the trail we saw many French banana slugs, which are pumpkin orange and seemed to be curled up together in a spiral--perhaps making whoopee.  Farther down the trail the slugs turned brown.  They are not as big as California Banana Slugs, but still were 6-8 inches long with sluggy feelers and a slimy look to them.

We made it to the lake where we checked out the poster about scheduled performers for the summer.  As we continued along the lakeside we could hear this week's group playing and singing. Their unique lyrics were "Check, one, two, three, check one, two, three" accompanied by a  heavy bass.  Sorry to say, this group is not on the A list.

As we approached our home we saw the neighbor in his yard and stopped to introduce ourselves.  Pierre is a genial fellow and we had a good chat and promised to get together next week for a drink.

We sat out on the back side of the house and had a glass of the nice white wine Eric left for us, and some green olives and peanuts.  There is a very nice outdoor table set in the front yard of the house in a very pleasant setting, but I am so entranced by the stunning view, I have set up a chair and a makeshift table on the back side of the house where I can sit and look over my lands like the owner of the chateau.

A little later we  had a dinner of jazzed up pizza and sliced tomatoes.  While I was cooking my cell phone rang and, as I am loath to incur European roaming charges, I didn't answer it.  As we ate our dinner I watched a car on the road below, creeping along hesitantly.  I postulated that maybe this was the delivery service with Don's bike.  Big mistake!  We investigated the unanswered call and found it was from a Swiss location.  Oh No!  The call must have been from the  delivery people and we didn't answer and now they had turned back towards the town.  Well, I don't think it was, but Don was excited.

We spent the next hour and a half trying to call the British Air Baggage Service, to no avail.  Oh, man.  Why did I ever point out that slow moving car, which I now think was just a happy camper slowly driving down the dirt road in the pitch black.  By 11 o'clock I gave Don a kiss goodnight and hit the sack.

I hope that darn bike shows up tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Great way to start your trip, glad the bike is back with you. Your home exchange looks wonderful. enjoy. Cheryl
    ReplyDelete

No comments:

Post a Comment